Re: [News] Microsoft Foresees End of Personal Computers

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Philip ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 05:28 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Microsoft sees the beginning of the end for PCs
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/mprgj        (msnbc.msn.com)
>>>
>>> Linux has got an alliance of about a dozen giants for its deployment in
>>> handhelds/mobiles. A new battleground where Microsoft has no dominance
>>> (Web-based software likewise)...
>>
>> They'll have to pry the keyboard from my cold dead hands.
>
> *LOL* reminds me of a photo...
>
> http://pirillo.com/

I still don't understand why everyone sees this as such a problem...
What's wrong with a bluetooth keyboard for your mobile, say?  The PC is
an ancient device, it's hardly likely to remain ascendent for much
longer anyway...

I think what's being missed here is that computers, for most people,
are a communications device.  The major use amongst kids & teenagers,
especially female ones, is for chat.  The lads are still playing quite a
lot of games, and they're both watching some videos and television, and
listening to some music.

Combine all of that together into one, handy, device, and what more
do they need?  A Nokia N770, or a GamePark GP2X, or a Sony PS3, or a
Motorola A680, or a Palm  will all do much, most, or perhaps all of that.
Motorola have recently announced a new generation of PDA-like devices.

So, if you can have all of that in your pocket, to take with you to
school, or the library, or in the car, or on the train, or in the plane,
or in the park, or to your friend's house, then why would you want a
bulky great PC at all?

For a bunch of forward-looking technologists, there's a lot of people
covering up their eyes, at the moment...

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.