Re: PING Greycloud [was Re: [News] NVIDIA & Linux Win 'Best of Show' Award]

begin  oe_protect.scr
GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ GreyCloud ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 22:31 \__

>>>I'm looking at it, but I still can't get what the big thing is about
>>>mobile or portable when I don't go anywhere these days.  Guess I'll have
>>>to go down to the local Best Buy store and have them explain it to me.
>>

>> I'm on the same boat as you, Grey. I am not ready to depart from the desktop.
>> I will not be returning to laptops, either. They are here to stay for quite
>> some time, but the use of mobile devices will probably rise as they manage
>> to emulate the experience of an immobile machine (bandwidth, size, user
>> interaction, capacity).
>>

>>>But didn't AMD buy Nvidia just recently?  If they did, that could change
>>>things drastically.
>>

>> That was ATi.
>
> See, I'm getting old and long in the tooth.
>
> Still, I wonder how this will impact the industry of cpus?

CPU prices have just been halved by AMD and Intel, basically because
nobody is buying PCs...

For the kind of people who inhabit this group, it's quite possible that
a desktop machine will be a necessity;  but for /most/ people, ie, the
people who make up most of the buying public, they neither want nor need
one.  The kids want to send messages to each other, maybe send pictures,
but basically they want to interact.  The boom in SMS in Europe over the
last decade has been incredible;  nobody could have predicted just how
popular a simple text-messaging system could be.  In the US and Canada,
without GSM, this just didn't happen, so internet-based messaging
became popular instead.

The expectation in next-generation services is that gatewaying between
IM systems on mobile devices and fixed devices will become the norm.

Again, for programmers, and certain kinds of knowledge worker, a desktop
PC equivalent is likely to be a strong requirement for many moons to come;
/but/, do you care if it's an x86 machine in a white case with a noisy fan
running, or a cell-based machine in a black box which is quiet?  From a
practical perspective, probably not much, so long as you can do your job.
What you need if you're a programmer is something which presents the
same kind of environment as you get now, but do you really care /how/
it's done?

If all your data and environment are stored on a large, network-side
cluster of storage, and your "jobs" are handled on a network-side
cluster, does it matter?  Probably not much.  I think that the next
generation of computing will be to grasp a concept of network-side
clusters of computing nodes which can spin up all manner of servers as
and when required, with leaf-nodes running on other devices (pretty much
any kind) which present the user-interface in a way acceptable to the
user.  This means that for people who /want/ a PC-like experience (which
probably isn't all that many), they can have it, but also, for people
who want to check their emails on the train, they can;  or for people
who want to send SMSs from the pub, or play their MP3s on their satnav
in the car and have their messages read to them, they can...

The challenge is to work out what processing needs to be handled
network-side, and what should be on the user's device, in order to
maximise battery life, minimise costs, have the best user-experience,
and so on.

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.