Re: Microsoft shows off cell phone-PC prototype

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft shows off cell phone-PC prototype
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:49:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 31 July 2006 07:44 \__

> Quote:
> ---------------
> Microsoft on Thursday showed a prototype of a cell phone-based computer
> that could one day find a use as a cheap PC for emerging markets....
>
> Microsoft has come under some fire for not being more aggressive in
> helping to create a low-cost PC that is suitable for emerging markets.
> Mundie said that even in poorer countries, many people today have both
> a telephone and a television, making a computer based on those
> components easier to achieve than creating a low-cost PC....
>
> In addition to its phone-computing research efforts, Microsoft also has
> its pay-as-you-go FlexGo program for emerging countries. The program
> doesn't actually lower the cost of a PC, but makes it available for a
> lower cost upfront: It allows people to put half the cost of a PC down
> and then pay off the remainder via a per-hour usage charge, over time.

^^^^^

This has been discussed (criticised) in COLA before. The monopolist wishes to
have people hire equipment rather than possess, let us say, a personal
affordable laptop. This raises many question regarding persistence of use
and hidden cost.

> ------------
> End quote
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-6099471.html?part=rss

I read this article 1 or 2 days ago and I recall a mentioning of Windows
Starter Edition, which is 'crippleware'. It limits the user to just 3
processes/tasks (terminology varies) at most, which means that the limit is
imposed by rules rather than be restricted by hardware limitations. Needless
to say, this is a conspicuous case of doing the opposite of helping, i.e.
catering for "the better of humanity". It's about what you can squeeze out
and put yourself in a position of (financial advantage). It's like offering
drugs and medicine, but intentionally decreasing its effect (manufacturing
costs remain the same). Capacity is artificially limited.