Re: Course Teaches Toddlers Microsoft Software

__/ [ Darth Chaos ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 16:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The oldest child is seven years old and the youngest is four and a
>> | recent class had children learning how to input data into an Microsoft
>> | Excel spreadsheet.
>> |
>> | The young age of the participants and the complexity of the tasks they
>> | are performing raises questions about the use of computers by
>> | children.
>> |
>> | Teacher Mike Ryde says: "We have children as young as 18 months on
>> | the courses..."
>> `----
>>
>>         http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/5223192.stm
>
> Who was it that said "Get them while they're young"? Adolf Hitler? :)

Well, I don't know anything about it, but here you have a case of monoculture
that is commercial. It is peneatrating the minds of young people, later to
make Gates and his friend richer. Norms are fine, but not such monoculture,
which is why they should have used something generic like OpenOffice. One
could argue that there is a monoculture/norms everywhere (e.g. everyone
wears shirts), but there is an open choice as far as brands are considered
as no item of clothing strictly requires another from the same shop.
Software is a tricky issue (especially when vendor produly embrace lockins
and proprietary formats), so legistlation ought to change.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Swap:  1036184k total,   332832k used,   703352k free,    84128k cached