Re: [News] Linux Brings Parallel Computing to Mainstream

> Mainstream Parallel Programming
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Whether you're a scientist, graphic artist, musician or movie executive,
> | you can benefit from the speed and price of today's high-performance
> | Beowulf clusters.
> `----
>                http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9082
>
> And Linux nodes are /far cheaper and quicker to deploy...

Quicker to deploy?  Than what?  I've deployed "beowulf"
clusters (which is actually kind of a catch all term) with
linux, Solaris clusters on Sun hardware, and OpenVMS clusters
on old compaq hardware, and they all take about the same
amount of time.  Linux clustering is no harder or easier
than anything else--and its only cheaper than most, not ALL.

What makes it so attractive is the amount of software that
takes advantage of it without having to employ an army of
programmers to hack it to bits (like you have to with Oracle
or PeopleSoft).

-----yttrx