Re: amaroK rocks

  • Subject: Re: amaroK rocks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:34:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Brad ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 12:00 \__

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:03:36 -0700, John A. Bailo wrote:
>

>> I downloaded Whitley Streiber's weekly program
>> ( http://www.unknowncountry.com ) as a mp3 download (podcast).
>>
>> Using my new Suse 10.1 install, I loaded it into amaroK and started
>> perusing the features.
>>
>> I clicked on the Artist tab and it brought up the Wikipedia article on
>> Whitley!   Very cool that it's integrated with the Wikip.
>
> I agree. I like it so much, I actually enjoy compiling it from source to
> include all of the capable options that I enjoy using and leaving out the
> ones I don't like or use. Like support for MySQL instead of using the
> default SQLite. Extensive support for tag editing is another strong suit
> for Amarok. I also find that compiling from source seems to be more stable
> with my Mandriva system, and that I can also use the most recent version
> of Amarok without having to wait for a rpm package to be released.
>    Compiling from source may not be for everyone, but I enjoy the level of
> control that it gives me in how I use the software. The documentation
> that is present with the ./configure file makes fine tuning the build an
> easy task and is some of the best/complete build documentation I have ever
> seen. Try that with a Windows app. :-)

I  tried building the lastest (1.4.x) a few weeks ago, under
the  outdated SUSE 9.3. There were some dependencies to  get
rectified,  so  compiling  from  source was  no  joy.  I  am
assuming  that you keep your distribution (was it Mandriva?)
up-to-date, as one should.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - features I like in AmaroK: global keyboard accelerators
built  in (xmms needs xmms-kde and/or wmxmms), jump to  song
using  substring,  album  covers from Amazon,  prompto  song
lyrics,   crossfading   (X-fader),  Python   scripts,   xmms
visualisation   plug-ins,  themes  and  many,  many  more...
SongBird,   which   I  also  tried   compiling   (still   in
development),  will  have a hard time catching on with  this
other  Qt/FOSS project from the Dutch folks. I believe  that
AmaroK  is  bound to become cross-platform  (like  SongBird)
when KDE/Qt 4 is released (later this year).

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
Mem:    514480k total,   412604k used,   101876k free,    46068k buffers