Re: Microsoft Charges for Software Under Testing

__/ [ Peter Kai Jensen ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 18:25 \__

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20060728073716584

>> New  friends  are  gained for the ODF alliance (on  a  daily
>> basis  even). And Microsoft Office has no proper support for
>> ODF   ,despite  its  stealing  of  Open  Source  code   from
>> SourceForge.  This looks encouraging for Linux because  many
>> of  these  migrations break the shackles of key  proprietary
>> formats.
>
> I think that it is pretty much inevitable that ODF, and probably OO.org,
> will be taking over MS Office's dominant position.  The MS resistance to
> ODF has generated its fair share of publicity and subsequent interest in
> OO.org, and I think that MS's interests would have been better served by
> just implementing ODF as another save-to format (doesn't even have to be
> the default one either), and thereby allowed themselves to be considered
> for many of the government contracts they have now (perhaps permanently)
> excluded themselves from.  It wouldn't even be a technical problem to do
> so, due to the open nature of ODF, but they just hate losing any control
> over file formats.
>
> Anyway, I would not go as far as to describe how they obtained their ODF
> code as "stealing".  AIUI, what they did was legal and acceptable within
> the terms of the license in question (I think it was BSD, or what?).  It
> may be very hypocritical of them, but it's not really "stealing".  Maybe
> leeching is a better word for it.  Oh, and could you perhaps not do that
> even margin thing like that?  The variable spacing makes it a bit harder
> to read, and it's not really necessary.  If you must do it, try doing it
> by carefully picking your words.  It's a great linguistic exercise!  :-)

I should have gone with the word "nicked", but ended up intensifying it,
Either way, as you say, it was an act of hypocrisy and proof that
Microsoft's anti-OSS crusade is a sham.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
Cpu(s):  17.8% user,   2.7% system,   0.6% nice,  79.0% idle