Re: India to Distribute Free Software to All Citizens

  • Subject: Re: India to Distribute Free Software to All Citizens
  • From: "Chirag Shukla" <chiragshuklaindia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Jul 2006 12:35:10 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John A. Bailo wrote:
> Chirag Shukla wrote:
>

> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> India plans free software for all
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
> >>
> >>                         http://www.pcwelt.de/news/englishnews/114859/
> >
> > LOL. This is a joke.
>

> The Indian government makes other governments look like a model of
> rectitude!
>
> First one minister says that kids don't need computers because it would hurt
> their development.

I wont comment on who said what but if I had the power of spending $s,
I would develop a model program using a very few $100 laptops to train
the teachers, who would then train the students. However, $100 laptops
would not be on my high priority list.

> Now they release a distro of mostly Windopes software

Distribution of Windows software? What in the world are you up to now?

> when most of their
> people probably don't have computers, and the ones that do can already get
> free software.

That is certainly true - not many people have computers, let alone
Internet. And one could get software for free anyway. I wont be
surprised if Mark Kent comes around talking about his "piracy on
high-sea and someone getting hurt" off topic discussion.

Anyway, Linux is still new in India. Its growing but the penetration to
desktops is a long ways away. Multilanguage support sounds great, but
according to me it may not help the momentum. People prefer learning
English to use computers than using computers in the language they are
comfortable with. The former (learning English+computers) is helping
them get better jobs.

> I think some of us Neocons need to start a movement over there to clean up
> all the bureaucrats and let free market dynamics set the pace.

Please give it a shot. Actions certainly speak louder than words. And
you will need some luck too. Good luck.