Re: Scalix open-sources Linux email server

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 14:44 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> OSDir - USA
>>>
>>> It has always a bit ironic that Scalix Corp.'s well-regarded Linux email,
>>> calendaring, and integration server was not itself open-source. ...
>>>
>>><http://www.osdir.com/Article9093.phtml>
>>

>> I don't know much about Scalix - anyone have any information about them?
>> It does appear that the last hurdle for the linux desktop is being
>> overcome, that of the "groupware" requirements...
>
> I have come across Scalix several times lot in the news (especially since the
> middle of the week, although I saw them on con-sys in the past). Just
> entering the phrase 'scali' into my History trail, I get:
>
> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060726005017&newsLang=en
>
> Scalix Expands Commitment to Open Source Through Licensing Agreement With HP
>

> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=191201143
>
> Scalix To Open Source E-Mail
>
> http://productivityapps.itbusinessnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=52833
>
> Linux Email Leader Scalix Announces Plans to Make Community Edition an Open
> Source Project
>
> About Groupware, hasn't that been addressed by a lot of Open Source
> companies? I am convinced that many companies offer comprehensive solution
> to this, but interoperability with Microsoft server may be a separate matter
> (for which Redmond fellas' are fined).

The real issue for big corps is that they have a huge installed windows
base, so ideally, they'd like to migrate in the simplest possible way to
new things.  This means that eg., a server which can support the Outlook
client as well as other clients will be a very useful tool indeed,
similar, a server which can play well with exchange networks will also
be popular.  Microsoft are, of course, very aware of this, which is
precisely why they try to prevent interworking, and will continue to do
so.

Hollywood is where if you don't have happiness you send out for it.
		-- Rex Reed