Re: [News] Microsoft Charges for Software Under Testing

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 12:16 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft to charge for Office beta
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft plans next week to charge a nominal fee for Office 2007 Beta
>> | 2 downloads, in a move that runs counter to the practice held by most
>> | software companies.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6099987.html
>>
>> Is Micrsoft /that/ desparate for revenue?
>
> Maybe they can follow the example of OLPC...wait for a few hundred million
> people to pre-purchase Vista before they actually build it.

I don't think they can/could build it either way.

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's not going to work," Mr. Allchin says he told the Microsoft
| chairman. The new version, code-named Longhorn, was so complex its
| writers would never be able to make it run properly.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112743680328349448,00.html?mod=todays_us_page_one

What  you  now see in Vista is Windows XP with 6  months  of
development work (they scraped it around September 2005). So
they  can  manage to build it, but I hear it's still  flaky.
This may explain all of these delays.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
Swap:  1036184k total,   319436k used,   716748k free,    55096k cached