Re: [News] Selecting a Linux-Friendly Motherboard

__/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Friday 28 July 2006 16:57 \__

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:59:30 +0000 (UTC),
>  thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometime back I remembered helping someone to get a Gateway Intel 810
>>> chipset mobo to work under RedHat 6.1.  We got it to work as a network
>>> client in a Windows domain.  It seemed to be one of the more difficult
>>> chipsets to work with.
>>
>> Last night the GF and I worked on rebuilding my attorney's Windows XP
>> system.  It was a basic low end Dell system (about three years old)
>> with  none of the original CDs; we had to buy new software at retail.
>> Interestingly, Windows XP could not auto-detect the integrated video
>> or ethernet.  I would be curious to see if my Linux rescue CD would
>> do better with the hardware detection, but I was originally there to
>> talk about a real estate deal, so I didn't have my usual consulting
>> tools with me... I really need to make that mini-CD / USB dongle pair
>> that I keep jabbering about.
>>
>> It really seems to me that Linux has become an easier install with
>> a higher immediate success ration than Windows.  Perhaps that is
>> because my experience with Windows is becoming dated (I admittedly
>> have done much less with Windows XP compared to Win 2000), but
>> Linux installers and hardware support have certainly closed the gap.
>>

> It's far more than "closed the gap" A modern Linux distro like Suse or
> Ubuntu, is far easier to install than MS-WinXP, no question about it.
>
> There are some hardware combinations that make either XP or Linux
> stumble, but far fewer for Linux, and when you're done with the install,
> compare the functionality. Linux brings so much more to the table that
> it's hard to see how XP could even begin to compete if it weren't for
> preloads. That's the keystone, get more preloads, all else is secondary
> in desktop world domination.

This appears to be changing, but the States is slower to adopt and ride on
the trend. Perhaps the personal relationships between the executives in the
States are tighter owing to proximity. Or maybe it's the end-user's
understanding and awareness of alternatives (TV ads to could be blamed for
all I can/could see). Either way:

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Windows and Gates?

                -- Unknown

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*