Re: [News] Linux Laptops Get 'Knock-based Commands'

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 28 July 2006 07:54 \__

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knockage.html?ca=dgr-btw01KnockBasedCommands

> You need this capability in the tablet-sized devices, really.  Laptops
> are way too big, heavy, noisy, hot, take too long to boot, need too many
> wires and connections.  The day of the laptop is numbered...

Am  I  right  in thinking that this would lead to  the  same
problem  of tap-to-click touchpads? I mean, tablets and  PDA
are mobile, so they are susceptible to impact. This leads to
actions being invoked when you don't want them (see Kelsey's
remark).

The trigger mechanism of keyboards and mouses (mice) sort of
prevents  this.  As  for PDA's, touchscreens  tend  to  have
actions  disabled  unless unfolded or switched on. In  fact,
there  is  even software to even disable to effect  of  many
buttons,  which  tend  to get pressed in one's  pocket  (not
deliberately).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
 12:20pm  up 8 days  0:35,  9 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.45, 0.49