Re: E-Mail Cluster Bombs

  • Subject: Re: E-Mail Cluster Bombs
  • From: "Mathew P." <Mathew@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:29:06 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 2006-07-27, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

 ---------------8<------------

>> I found this interesting. It is a Distributed Denial of service
>> attack, but with a new twist. Take a look:
>>
>> http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/1213.html
>

> Yes, but what does that have to do with Linux? Apart from the fact that
> /Windows/ zombies have always made this possible. SPAM and DDOS attacks have
> nearly collapsed my shared server in the past. I spent whole days filtering
> traffic to keep things going and had to ask the Boss for some time off.

I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience Roy. However, as you
know, effective computer and data security is not based on obfuscation.
Full disclosure of methods and means of attack is the key to hardening
against those attacks. As far as having to do with Linux, I'm suprised
you would have to ask: I would think that would be obvious. Any security
issue is of relevance and concern to every user regardless of OS, hardware
or computing expertise. If a system can't stand up to attacks, the only
way to ensure that it can is to openly study vulnerabilities. This
is why, for instance, Blowfish source code is available for download.
It is the only true test of security. Can the system withstand assault
even when the enemy knows it's inner workings? So far, Blowfish has.

Regards,

Mathew

"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices