Re: Microsoft Kernel Patch Protection is more threat to third-party security software vendors than to hackers

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Kernel Patch Protection is more threat to third-party security software vendors than to hackers
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:00:06 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:09:53 +0100
<15816110.ucZ99UUGuW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 09:08 \__
>
>> Quote:
>> ------------
>> After an in-depth analysis of the new security measures introduced by
>> Microsoft under the name Kernel Patch Protection, Agnitum has announced
>> that this attempt to improve security instead is a possible move to
>> preclude or block the use of third-party security software in Windows.
>> Agnitum also believes that it will bring more difficulties to
>> third-party security software vendors than to hackers.
>> ----------
>> End quote
>>
>> http://www.securitypark.co.uk/article.asp?articleid=25636&CategoryID=1
>
> Extend your /own/ platform to extinguish? It sure looks like it... Windows
> becomes a moving target and, with closed source development, competitors
> will have a hard time catching up (reverse-engineering the changes).

Windows has always *been* a moving target.  Recall, for instance:

- RDO -> ADO -> ActiveX, and there was DDE and OLE at one point too;
  I have an old Borland Compiler that used it.

- Win3.1 -> Win95 -> WinXP, and WinNT -> Win2k -> WinXP, with
  little changes hither and yon, some of which one can see,
  many of which sneak up on the developer.  The one I can see
  is WinInet->WinHTTP.

Linux is also a moving target, although it's not nearly as
relevant because the moving parts are underneath a well-specified
simple facade:  fork(), open(), etc.  This facade is encased in
granite, for the most part -- there's no real reason to change it.

X's interface is similarly immovable, though both provide for
extensions.

Both are hybrid systems, and it's clear which one has fewer problems.
:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.