Re: [News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Needs to Scrape Windows, Return to 2000 Codebase

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 18:09 \__

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112743680328349448,00.html?mod=todays_us_page_one

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The news got even worse: Longhorn was irredeemable because
>>| Microsoft engineers were building it just as they had always built
>>| software. Throughout its history, Microsoft had let thousands of
>>| programmers each produce their own piece of computer code, then
>>| stitched it together into one sprawling program. Now, Mr. Allchin
>>| argued, the jig was up. Microsoft needed to start over.
>> `----
>
> As you say - they've already done that - it still didn't work.  Vista,
> if it's /ever/ launched, is going to be a service-pack for NT5.  As also
> noted by Microsoft's own senior managers, their development methods are
> a mess.

You mean Allchin /et al/? And those who demanded a 60% code rewrite -- that
which would make it modular and introduce new holes in freshly-made code?
It's like trying to educate a 20 year-old savage, starting with nuclear
physics rather than begin with the basic. Maturity does not emerge
overnight. Even Apple had to flush.

Allchin, by the way, announced that he would retire when Vista hits the
shelves. I suspect he might get the pleasure of playing Duke Nuken Forever
(oh! the saga) before he retires...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie