Re: [News] Another Use for Linux in Supercomputing

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 17:40 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> NASA Scientists Conquer Einstein Equations With Help From Columbia
>> Supercomputer
>>
>> ,----[ Selective quote ]
>>| For the first time, more complex data sets and complete workflows canb
>>| e driven entirely out of memory, enabling productivity breakthroughs
>>| that traditional Linux clusters or repurposed UNIX(R) servers can't
>>| achieve. Altix systems offer breakthrough flexibility and
>>| configurability, scaling to up to 512 processors per node. Based on a
>>| 64-bit Linux(R) operating environment, the Altix family is uniquely
>>| capable of independently scaling Intel(R) Itanium(R) 2 processors,
>>| shared memory and/or I/O on a single, standard chassis with different
>>| expansion modules, providing optimal resource usage for demanding
>>| technical applications.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/65722/index.html
>
> Hmmm, interesting.  The whole computing landscape is shifting very very
> quickly at the moment (unless you're waiting for Vista, of course, in
> which case you've been waiting since 2003 and are unlikely to get
> anything before 2007, if at all).
>
> The whole concept of clustering/sharing cycles/moving jobs has yet to be
> explored to anything like its potential.

Well,  any  SOA infrastructure (if you are thinking  towards
Web-based  applications) could truly benefit from  clustered
servers   and  maybe  even  supercomputers  (e.g.  Web-based
rendering  software).  The main peril may be issues such  as
Wen   nuetrality   at  the  moment,  which  rule   out   the
practicability of a responsive on-line O/S such as YouOS.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/8                         Tue Jul 25 18:48 - 18:54  (00:06)