Re: Anti Troll FAQ

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 24 July 2006 17:41 \__

> On Monday 24 July 2006 12:45 High Plains Thumper wrote:
> (snip)
>> To continue reading, link is below:
>>
>> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/anti_troll_faq.htm
>>
>> I thought it best to post this, since there has been considerable troll
>> activity on c.o.l.advocacy lately.
>>
>> As you read, you may begin to recognise certain tactics and patterns
>> provided by the trolls.  I could readily identify most of the troll
>> activity here according to the habits described.
>
> Surely, you are mistaken?
> I read that, and I couldn't see anything that I recognise.
> Try the following snippets, and then try to kid me that I'm wrong:-
>
> --------------------------------------
> The old definition of a Troll is one who posts to generate
> the maximum number of follow ups.
>
> Subject: 3.3  The destructive Troll
> In about the year 1999 a new breed of Troll appeared who
> have the declared intention of destroying a specific Target
> newsgroup.  This is done by a variety of posts, (see
> Section 4) intended to drive normal posters away from the
> specific newsgroup.
> When the percentage of Troll posts, including followups
> exceeds about 75% of the total posts, most readers seem to
> just give up and unsubscribe.
> <snip />
> -------------------
> Blimey - I'm glad we don't have any of all that here!

Personally, I always go by the definition once provided by Wikipedia. The
definition changes (or evolves) constantly, like symshifting. Here is how it
stands at present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

,----[ Overvie ]
| In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an
| established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts
| inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed
| intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or
| disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of
| calling others trolls.
`----

This pretty much describes the behaviour embraced, too. The previous
definition (as I once saw it) was more succinct and punctual. Anything that
/upsets/ (to use the word that stood out) the participants can be viewed as
an act of trolling. It's community vandalism.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S