Re: [News] Open Source Mantra Spreads to Many Areas

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Sunday 23 July 2006 11:48 \__

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-opensource23jul23,0,5797174.story?coll=la-home-headlines

>>> The author should have probably mentioned GNU and RMS as well, perhaps
>>> even the FSF and EFF.
>>
>> The author needs to do some proper research, although I'm assuming that
>> the FSF folks will be down on him/her like a ton of bricks.  This is
>> terrible journalism.
>
> I googled (finally it's a word) for a while, but couldn't find the author's
> E-mail address. Can you think of a way to correct him? Yesterday evening I
> sent out the following...
>

> ===
> I noticed your article which is due to go public on July 24th. It made me
> think of One Microsoft way (or even Apple, for the sake of this argument)
>
> I have a gripe with what you claim and suggest. Essentially you propose
> robbing users from choice and diversity. Monoculture is what GNU/Linux is
> here to address/tackle. Isn't that what SLED is for? Corporate uniformity?
> Why eliminate all others as contenders? And why spread FUD about compiling
> packages when there are such huge Ubuntu repositories.
> ===
>
> In reference to:
>
> http://www.crn.com/sections/microsoft/microsoft.jhtml?articleId=190900617
>
>                         A Linux OS For All

Update: Got a response this morning. He says he'll add my comment or our
correspondence as Letter to the Editor.