Re: [News] Linux-Based $100 Laptops Ready Before Vista?

Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <1255876.RCFuOTveXR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>| The $100-laptops, which are designed for rough usage, will be
>>| Linux-based and have a 500 MHz processor, a 128MB of DRAM, and a 500MB
>>| flash memory.
>
> Any benchmarks on these?  I'm curious how long a kernel build takes.
> (Recall that being able to modify the OS was one of the criteria they had
> for this, so presumably people will be rebuilding kernels on them).;

Not knowing the specifics about said laptop, but on a number of servers I
shepard, all sporting k6-2+ cpu's, it isn't tha big of a deal. After all,
you might only need to compile a kernel once or twice to get whatever you
need. Also, these ARE networked laptops, you could compile on one machine
and share the kernel amongst hundreds if not thousands of other users.

--

Jerry McBride