Re: [News] Proof that EULA's are Evil

begin  oe_protect.scr
Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Jim ] on Sunday 23 July 2006 13:06 \__

> http://digg.com/security/55_Years_In_Prison_For_Breaking_a_EULA?cdigg=2416983#c2416983
>>>
>>> Holy crap. Details. Want details.
>>
>> It links to: http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/baileyCharge.htm
>
> well, if that isn't proof positive that EULAs carry weight in American law,
> I don't know what is...
> ...On saying that, if they really /don't/ then I hope the case is dismissed
> and he is due some compensation.

This seems shockingly out of proportion.  If he'd stolen a book from a
library, say, a telephone book, and sold the contents, what would he
get?

If he'd copied a CD or DVD, and sold the contents, what would he get?

Perhaps in the US that would also be 55 years..?  Does seem like a lot
to me, though.  It wasn't even an aggravated burglary.

The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it.
- Brian Kernighan