Re: Anti-virus Applications Don't Work

  • Subject: Re: Anti-virus Applications Don't Work
  • From: Philip <no_one@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:55:53 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The article seemed to be saying that the less well known antivirus
products work better because the malware authors don't test their
creations against them (only the big names).  If so, it's not a great
endorsement for the antivirus enterprise as a whole.  I'm just glad I
don't have to deal with that whole antivirus mess (because I use
Linux).  OTOH, spam emails are a real headache.

To (over)use the medical analogy again. Overuse of popular AV software is akin to overuse of antibiotics and drug resistance in disease bacteria. You will never win against the bugs unless to target their innate ability to adapt and evolve. Until then the best strategy is to use it only when you really have caught a bug. That is not going to help the AV industry's growth expectations.