Re: [News] Techies Flock to Red Hat

begin  oe_protect.scr
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Some of the Triangle's best-known technoscenti plan to attend, including
>| IBM engineer Sam Ruby; Andy Hunt, author of "The Pragmatic Programmer"
>| and Dave Johnson, developer of blogging software Roller Weblogger.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/463173.html

This is an excellent idea.  I've become somewhat jaded with the very
formalised approach of many conferences, often with mediocre speakers
(some technical people just can't do audiences), or dinosaurs spouting
their view of how the world should be or should have been, having missed
most of the last decades' changes.

Very few conferences seem to even spot the significance of cracking open
lock-in, pushing for better economic models, and so on.  Admittedly,
many of them are sponsored by traditional vendors, so that doesn't help.

I like this idea, and think we should do it in the UK.  We've been doing
these kinds of things internally at work for some time now - where we
get together with a relatively loose agenda, and work through what
people actually care about.  A 1980s management consultant would go nuts
about it, but hopefully, they're all still back in the 1980s!

The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it.
- Brian Kernighan