Re: Aero for GNU/Linux (KDE)

  • Subject: Re: Aero for GNU/Linux (KDE)
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:00:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 23 July 2006 01:59 \__
>
>> George Ellison wrote:

<snip>

> I agree. Last year I disabled all transparency and shadows, having messes
> about with them for a while. My guess is that many Vista users will do
> likewise after the initial excitement or the ability to boast the use of
> 'innovative' betas (unless they have computational beasts). Without Aero,
> Vista is just Windows XP with different colours and icons.
>
> I disabled KDE/X translucency because it detracts rather than helps. It only
> uses up resources. Sometimes, less is more. Productivity through available
> HCI methods is approached and stronger hardware will not suffice for
> productivity gains. It's time to rethink how to improve things and use
> resources in a pragmatic way that won't distract the user. Seriously.

Ye gods - is this the best that MS can do?  Copy KDE functions from 2
years ago...  things are worse over in Redmond than I could've imagined.
My no1 lad tried out the transparency stuff for a while, but in the end,
he got sick of it.  Even the iPod generation aren't that impressed!

>>> Why do we need any of this? It's there only to look cool.
>>
>> Fair enough. :)
>

> George is right on the money. There's 'workware' and there is 'vanityware'.
> Some people want their O/S to put up a little show for them...

I can see people wanting a "presentations" mode, but for 99% of the
time, a console is much more use!

The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it.
- Brian Kernighan