Re: [News] Symantec Predicts Vista Security Failures

  • Subject: Re: [News] Symantec Predicts Vista Security Failures
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:46:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 20 July 2006 09:13 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 14:55 \__

>>> Whose  plans?  Microsoft's or Symantec's? Don't forget  that
>>> Microsoft  now  has  an incentive for making  the  O/S  less
>>> secure and sell more annual licences of Wanker (or OneCare).
>>> Symantex's  CEO  recommends Apple, by the way. He's  fed  up
>>> with  Microsoft,  owing to all these unproductive  antitrust
>>> attempts, as well as the realisation that protecting Windows
>>> is  a hopeless move. With Windows Vista, the O/S will become
>>> a  moving target. With the source code in sight, Wanker will
>>> be  at a position of unfair advantage. Shall we send a patch
>>> or  shall we 'wank' (i.e. deliver proytection only to Wanker
>>> subscriber)? What a bunch of wankers!
>>
>> This always brings to mind the immortal phrase from the Life of Brian,
>> from Pontious Pilate "He wanks as high as any in Wome!"
>
> [tone type="friendly"]
> Whatever. *smile* I saw Life of Brian only once. As a child. Didn't
> understand a damn thing.
> [/tone]

It's not meant for children.  You should watch it now - it's one of
the funniest films ever made, but it's very intellectual in many parts.
It also helps if you know your bible stories, too, and some history of
the Roman Empire, and a bit of latin.

It's been so influential that a recent history series on BBC quotes it
directly in its title, "What did the Romans ever do for us?"  Which is
the start-point for the revolutionary meeting being chaired by Reg (John
Cleese);  later, as they plan their attack on Pilate's palace, it's
announced that everyone except Reg will be going, as Reg has a bad
back...

It's one of the few films where pretty much every part of the dialogue
is worth listening to.  There's barely a wasted second.  It's also by
far the best thing the Python team wrote.  The Holy Grail is not bad, and
has the prototype political humour, including (a peasant to King Arthur)
(paraphrase) "you're king just because of some weird ceremony involving
a sword and some bint in a lake!"  Or towards the beginning the "bring
out your dead!" - a reference to the plague...

barrow man: "Oy!  This one's not dead yet!"
villager:  "yes he is"
dead man:  "I'm feeling much better now"
villager:  "Excuse me - could you help me out here at all?"
barrow man: "well, it's most irregular - well, okay"  CRACK
villager:  "thanks very much..."

Python is a waste on children.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.
		-- Doug Gwyn