Re: Utter Disappointment...

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:5384685.zBLHaUsFs7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> __/ [ RPH ] on Friday 21 July 2006 09:40 \__
>
>> Okay, I have one minor gripe - the main mixer volume doesn't work,
>> but the headphone mixer channel affects the volume. Not that this
>> would be a problem for me in any OS as my speakers have a good old
>> fashioned knob marked "volume"!
>

> Rich,  I  had what I though was a similar problem in  Ubuntu
> and SUSE (same computer, sound card embedded in the on-board
> Intel   chipset).   Later  I  realised  that  I   was   just
> manipulating the wrong mixer dials, which means that only my
> ignorance   is  to  blame.  Sound  balance,  I  suspect,  is
> something  I  didn't  manage to change because  it  did  not
> correspond  to the type of output (CD, Master, System Sounds
> and  so  forth). So I suggest you tinker with the mixer  and
> see  how  you get along. Perhaps the mixer interfere is  not
> intuitive  (both  GNOME and KDE), but I am told by a  friend
> whom  I recently convinced to try Linux (Mandriva 2006) that
> mixing  under  Linux is far more advanced than XP  in  every
> area.  Perhaps  it's  a case of  complexity,  attributed  to
> excessive level of choice.

It's on-board sound but there seem to be two outputs from it - one on the
rear panel and a bunch of headers on the board, so I suspect the main
output is manipulating the output on the headers.

To be honest, it's not something that bothers me really - I always reach
for the physical volume control anyway - much quicker than fannying about
with a program!

> This  entire thing reminds me of a statement once made by wd
> in this newsgroup. People come to Linux with the presumption
> that  it's  hard and any case they find to justify this  and
> give  up would do. Stereotypes (FUD,prior experiences in the
> nineties,  etc.) are the worst enemy of Linux. "It's not me,
> it  Linux. Easier to blame the software, which others say is
> hard/faulty".

I have to admit that my tongue was firmly in my cheek - I've been running
a Linux file and mail server (and occasional desktop for email and web)
for at least three years now, probably longer. I've just seen so many
"installing Linux was a nightmare" posts that didn't jive at all with my
experience.

--
Rich Hanson
http://www.plompy.co.uk/