Re: [News] The Monopoly on the Bookshelves

  • Subject: Re: [News] The Monopoly on the Bookshelves
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:31:53 -0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <2647404.FWp7EMeGBY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ,----[ Snippet ]
>| Right, there's a soft market for free office suite software that
>| coincidentally competes against Microsoft Office? Hush money.
>| You ever heard of it? Payola? Kickbacks?
>|
>| The stink of Microsoft's anticompetitive tactics is too strong in
>| this situation. Last year I thought it was bizarre that Barnes and
>| Nobles carried no OpenOffice.org books.
> `----

Geesh, Roy.  Could you at least skip the obviously stupid news stories?
Barnes & Noble has a big Linux section.  They have books on The GIMP and on
Blender.  They carry Eric Raymonds book that expands on the cathedral and
the bazaar.  They have several books about open source.  They have many
books on various other open source programs that directly compete with
Microsoft, such as MySQL and Apache.

So, just from that, it seems pretty ridiculous to assume that there's some
kind of backdoor deal from Microsoft to keep things out of B&N.

But wait, you say--then why don't they have any OpenOffice.org books?

The answer to that is simple.  They do have them:

    Point & Click OpenOffice.org (a B&N exclusive edition)
    Openoffice.org for Dummies
    Sams Teach Yourself Oppenoffice.org 2, Firefox, and
        Thunderbird for Windows All in One
    Oooswitch: 501 Things You Want to Know About Switching
        Openoffice.org From Microsoft Office
    OpenOffice.org (Sams Teach Yourself): All in One
    The OpenOffice.org 1.0 Resource Kit
        (This is by Solveig Haugland and Floyd Jones, BTW.  Haugland is the
        author whose books the blog you linked to says can't be found at
        Barnes & Noble)

Those are the ones that they sell new.  They also have the following
available used through their authorized resellers:

    Openoffice.org Macros Explained
        (My local B&N does have this in stock on occasion)
    OpenOffice.org Writer: The Free Alternative to Microsoft Word
    Hacking Openoffice.org Tips, Tricks, and Untold Secrets
    The Tiny Guide to Openoffice.org
    Taming Openoffice.org 1.1
    Taming Openoffice.org Writer
    Conceptual Guide to Openoffice.org 2.0
    Openoffice.org and Staroffice Comprehensive CALC Workbook
    Openoffice.org and Staroffice Comprehensive Impress and Draw Workbook
    Openoffice.org and Staroffice Comprehensive Writer Workbook
    Openoffice.org Core Office Suite Workbook

--
--Tim Smith