Re: Business Week: The DVD War Against Consumers

  • Subject: Re: Business Week: The DVD War Against Consumers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:20:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 18:30 \__

> Ray Ingles wrote:
>> On 2006-06-01, Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > This entire DRM issue is a done deal. No amount of complaining is going
>> > to change it. The major studios *WILL* use DRM to protect their content
>> > from being copied and that's going to be it.
>>
>>  Sure, but the *intrusiveness* of the DRM is an issue. I already know
>> people who were annoyed that they couldn't run their DVD player through
>> their VCR to their TV thanks to Macrovision (though from what I've heard
>> fewer DVDs are actually paying for that license). The limitations on
>> DVDs aren't particularly onerous for users, but are *still* regularly
>> worked around, particularly region codes.
>
> I've never heard this before but I suppose it is possible if the hookup
> is through the RF connector. This seems to be a design problem with the
> VCR player IMO. It seems that if you are in "TV" mode (not recording)
> the VCR should simply let the signal pass-through with zero
> interference. If you try recording the signal with the VCR then that's
> an entirely different issue. But if you're simply watching something
> then the VCR ought to do nothing with the signals and simply pass it
> through to the next device (TV) in the chain.
>

>>  The new schemes seem designed to be as annoying as possible. And the
>> irony is they still won't stop industrial pirates that are the main
>> revenue issue.
>
> Perhaps if I ran into some of these annoyances I would have a first
> hand perspective on this and feel differently. But right now most
> everything I read seems to say that sales are down (could be the
> product). The studios seem to be blaming illegal copying and piracy for
> this. Since the studios are the ones financing the music/movie and
> taking the financial risk I feel that they should have the right to
> protect the media if they want to. It's also completely
> discretionary... people who feel strongly against this don't have to
> buy the product.
>

>>  As the article points out, college kids downloading crap aren't costing
>> the studios any money. A while back a teenager of our aquaintance gave
>> us a CD-R of 'The Incredibles' while it was still in theaters. We'd
>> already seen it, and still bought the DVD later. The downloaded version
>> was grainy, had problems seeking, and could only be played on the
>> computer.
>>
>> > The other issue is that ninety-something percent of the population
>> > doesn't care about DRM. Technically DVD's and audio CD's already have
>> > (weak) copy protection yet people have no issue with buying them.
>>
>>  It's the right balance. Annoying enough to discourage a large fraction
>> of casual piracy, but not so inconvenient as to discourage sales.
>> Consider iTunes; similar tradeoffs, and commercial success.
>
> I simply don't understand the huge objection to DRM, that's all. From a
> practical standpoint it doesn't affect me or most people. Perhaps the
> [...]

This quote reminds me of a job interview I had 3 years ago (they made me an
offer). Anything that is audible or viewable cannot ever be shielded from
copying. The most you can do is create inconveniences to the pirate, as well
as the innocent customer.

See his latest referral to the following:

        http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/73396

I blogged it this morning, acknowledging Schneier in the process.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/06/01/password-laziness/

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:15pm  up 35 days  1:47,  9 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.72, 0.89