Re: Ballmer Defends Spending; MSFT Drop Continues

In comp.lang.java.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:15:50 +0100
<1200374.ft2bJAo05i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 04:00 \__
>
>> In comp.lang.java.advocacy, asj
>> <kalim1998@xxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on 31 May 2006 18:03:36 -0700
>> <1149123816.031751.283660@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> I suggest not getting sad about a company which has $33 billion in the
>>> bank.
>>>
>>> Microsoft is not going away any time soon. It will be a force on the
>>> desktop, servers, and perhaps other systems for a very long time to
>>> come. We can only try to "cage" it, never kill it off completely.
>>>

>> [1] Microsoft is profitable.
>>
>> [2] If Microsoft loses all revenue they could last for more than 3 1/2
>>     years *without laying off or changing their business plan*, just
>>     on the cash they have.  They wouldn't even need to incur
>>     additional debt.
>>
>> [3] Microsoft would not take such a calamity lying down.
>>
>> The flip side: Microsoft should probably invest that $33B somewhere,
>> either in developing new software (FOSS?) or perhaps in acquiring
>> additional companies which fit well into continuing profits/operations.
>> Just sitting on it is not all that efficient.
>>
>> We shall see.
>
> I hope you are not suggesting that they will extend Port 25 and the Linux
> Labs they have in Redmond. This would not be illegal, but you know... this
> would force them to drop all commercial software, along with the lies that
> are/were used to sell it to the masses...
>
> The thought of Microsoft using that kernel from OSDL, as well as GNOME and
> KDE, just sends shivers down my spine... could COLA be advocacy to Microsoft
> of the future? Naa... then there's Apple with BSD/Darwin, who take pride in
> DRM...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

I'm assuming you're referring to something along the lines
of http://port25.technet.com -- first I've heard of it
but Google coughed it up readily enough.

I'm frankly not sure what to make of this.  As for "forcing them"
to drop all software, that's rather unlikely; we can't even force
them to pay fines, apparently.

There's a tool mentioned called "Centrify".  This apparently allows
everyone to use Passport/Microsoft Active Directory for
"centralized identity management, account administration, single sign-on
and policy enforcement across multiple platforms".

This makes me nervous.

    One Way to rule them all
    One Way to find them
    One Way to bring them all
    and in cyberspace bind them
    in the land of Redmond, where the shadows lie....

:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.