Re: Need a site text search engine.

  • Subject: Re: Need a site text search engine.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:53:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Doug Laidlaw ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 12:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Doug Laidlaw ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 14:44 \__
>>
>>> This may be the wrong place to ask, but is there a simple search engine I
>>> can add to my site to search through text (a family history)?
>>
>> If it's private, off-line: use standard tools for your hard-drive to index
>> the date, e.g. Windows XP, Mac OS X, Beagle (Linux) or Google Desktop
>> (avoid versions 3 and 4, for your own benefit).
>>
>> It it's public, but not indexed: you cannot rely on search engine from
>> the outside. Try htdig or phpdig (search the Web for homepages), among
>> others.
>>
>> If public and indexed: set up site search facility, e.g. Yahoo site
>> search. Several examples (view source) at: http://Schestowitz.com/Search
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>
> Thanks Roy and John.  htdig is no more, but phpdig is still alive.

By "no more" I suppose you mean "no longer maintained". Being FOSS, the
existence and presence are unimportant, to some extent. It is only prospects
that matter.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:50pm  up 35 days  2:22,  17 users,  load average: 1.49, 1.46, 1.46