Re: [News] Linux + Games + DRM = PlayStation 3

__/ [ Michael B. Trausch ] on Friday 02 June 2006 06:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote in <1692121.QjyeV87upP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, June
> 1 2006 12:42:
>>
>> INTERVIEW WITH SONY-EXEC PHIL HARRISON
>>
>> "The Playstation 3 Is a Computer"
>>
>> http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,419072,00.html
>>

> I am sorry -- I *must* take issue with that.  The original Nintendo was a
> computer, too.  Based around the 6502, which was the same CPU used in the
> Apple II line of machines.  For that matter, all gaming consoles have are
> computers, and if the right hardware were hooked up to them, programming
> them would be a real possibility.  :)  The Playstation II, IIRC, was a MIPS
> based computer.
>
> They just have special hardware interfaces that make them unsuitable for
> use _as_ a general purpose computer.

Yes, definitely.

What makes a computer is often a processor and some memory, probably random
access. In that sense, all consoles are 'computers', so the word is used
loosely here. Did the executive mean a "Personal Computer"? Did he allude to
some capabilities which he believes define a "computer"? And anyway, why
wasn't the Nintendo which I played a lot as a child not a computer? Some of
the games it had exceeded the 'richness' of games on my XT desktop
(performance was not matched). And all I did was pretty much play games on
that desktop anyway... the main difference was the interface (keyboard
versus gamepad) and permanent storage (floppy disk), among other factors.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
  7:25am  up 35 days 13:57,  16 users,  load average: 2.90, 2.97, 2.35