Re: [News] Woman Targetted by Windows Flaw

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> __/ [ RPH ] on Friday 02 June 2006 10:02 \__
>
>> It also needs to be done in a measured way - there's been a couple of
>> occasions over the last couple of years on either TV or radio where a
>> Mac-head has said words to the effect of "well you should use a Mac,
>> we don't get those problems". While it may be true, it is said in
>> such a smug manner it makes me feel more like setting up the most
>> insecure Windows box I can and using that! (This should be taken with
>> the knowledge that I can be a really cranky old git!)
>

> It is a proven fact that nobody likes to be told what s/he does wrong.
> The "it's bad for you" scenarios are common in the context of drugs,
> alcohol, and cigarettes. That said, telling people what is bad for
> them is not as bad as telling them what _to do_. People vehemently
> _loathe_ being told what's good for them.

Precisely my point! Gentle coercion is likely to work better than
aggression.

>> Most casual users only see spam from the perspective of receiver, and
>> as such they see everyone receiving spam regardless of platform and
>> assume that it isn't anything to with Windows.
>
> That ought to change, through education. Imagine how people would feel
> if they thought about a cracked Windows box every time they hit
> "Delete".

The idea should be one of education, and as such we should accept that
the change won't come overnight.

> I didn't even know the difference until 2 years ago when I was 22. The
> word "hacker" has always had a bad connotation in my mind.

Of course we shouldn't be too surprised as that is just the way that
languages evolve.

> It's the 'knock yourself out' approach. Sadly, in a networked world,
> everyone suffers from one person's 'problem'.

Which is the information that needs to reach the people who aren't aware
of computer security. There's no real appreciation amongst the wider
public that something hidden on your machine could well be making someone
else's life a misery but not be affecting you at all.

> Cool. Well, Flash player 9 is coming to Linux, so issues such as
> Shackwave compatibility will fade away as awareness is improved. Linux
> needn't mature. It's the awareness, driven by userbase scale.

I reckon everything that is needed in Linux is there already in terms of
what is required from an OS. For everyday tasks it works just fine, and
it makes me smile when zealots of either side complain about how hard the
other is to install/use - certainly I've had no particular issues with
Linux or XP.