Re: [News] Open Source "Fundamentally American Concept"

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open source politics are 'American as apple pie'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Eben Moglen, professor of law at Columbia Law School, says that open
> | source is a fundamentally American concept, contrary to the view
> | promoted by Microsoft and others
> |
> | The politics of open source are not anti-business or anything to be
> | ashamed of, but a return to America's inventive roots after a period
> | dominated by innovation-stifling monopolies.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39272565,00.htm

It has also been said in another forum, that Open source is very much in
keeping with the European Celtic way of life.

(I'm not a historian and only saying it as best I remember reading it).

Apparently we were a lot of villages, with no overall leaders (until leaders
were needed to organise the fight with the Romans). We could be large towns
or a small farm cottage, but each ruled itself, with the druids being used
as arbitrators if needed. The network of roads was much more extensive than
the Roman ones, with each settlement trading directly with it's 4 or 5
closest neighbours, but by message systems could trade or communicate with
any other in the network of villages right across europe, which also
suggests to historians that they not only had a common language but a very
sophisticated message system too.

This shared system of resources allowed for a very rich society (druids had
gold, Romans didn't). Which of cause is why Cesar feigned a need to battle
with them, claiming he needed to protect one village from another. Then
carried on destroying the entire network, and finished off with a bit of
history re-writing.

So, we started off sharing and trading, no overall leaders, and our society
had advanced enough to make the poorer nations jealous enough to want to
beat hell out of us, history tends to repeat itself.

There is a lot not known, because the Romans saw to it that the history of
the Celts was burried with them, but of what is known it seems that one of
the things we didn't need much to do with was weapons, other than basic
simple swords and knives, it looks as if we all managed to get along under
the guidance of the druids (druids were guides and mediators not leaders).

There, thats your history lesson for today. There will be an exam on
Wednesday to see if you remember any of it.