Re: [News] ComputerWorld: 20 Bad Things to DISLIKE about Windows Vista

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 02 June 2006 14:31 \__

> On 2006-06-02, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 18. User Account Controls $#^%!~\!!!.
>> 17. Two words: Secure Desktop.
>> 16. No way to access the Administrator account in Vista Beta 2.
>
>  I'm not getting the impression that this will be any better,
> security-wise, than the (miserable) Windows status quo. More annoying,
> until people disable the dialogs, but not more secure.
>
>  Running IE unprivileged might help, though. On the other hand, I
> suspect people will get used to 'clicking through' on a lot of the
> dialogs and such.

And that is _never_ a good thing. When dismissing leniently due to excess,
there is loss of or erosion of barrage. Think about the "cry wolf" story. I
used to erase files by pressing ENTER immediately after DELETE (or using
SHIFT+DELETE, arguing that safety nets was unneeded). On other occasions, I
was rm'ing stuff with regular expressions and wildcards without
sanity-checking or ls'ing first. In both cases, this led to potential
disasters. I learned my lessons the hard way and even confirmation dialogues
I now pay careful attention to

>> 9. Windows Defender Beta 2 is buggy.
>
>  This can be fixed, though whether it *will* be is a different question.

There are more pressing issues at the moment. Windows has a DDOS flaw, which
was announced last night or earlier today. Several versions of Windows need
patching and subsequent testing. Many more flaws are lined up on the shelf,
still awaiting a fix. Some serious bugs such as the "O/S freeze after mass
deletion" took over 5 years to resolve. Compare with Ubuntu or even
WordPress. Ubuntu 6.06 is said to have some DHCP quirks and WordPress 2.0.3
(released today) is reported to have some minor bugs, which were fixed in
the form of a plug-ins a few hours ago.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
  2:55pm  up 35 days 21:27,  11 users,  load average: 2.50, 2.00, 1.69