Re: Microsoft _can_ do better than Linux ...

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft _can_ do better than Linux ...
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:32:21 +0100
  • Jlaforums: I am NOT a "Guest", I am BANNED from JLAforums but they STILL archive my USENET posts!
  • Machine: Test drive
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:11:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Lawrence D'Oliveiro ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 12:57 \__
>
>> ...can't it?
>>
>> <http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20010216&mode=classic>
>
> nice -n19 echo 'Jim Allchin' >>/dev/null nice echo 'BS promises removed'

Did Allchin say that M$ can build a better product than linux?
Judging from what I saw of a post from a Microsoft MVP in another ng, they
have a looooooong way to go yet. Here's what the M$ MVP posted:-

<quote>
If you do a Repair Install of Windows XP or of Server 2003 then you must
do a manual check for updates at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com even
if you have automatic updates fully enabled.  Otherwise your system will
only be updated to the point at which the CD you used for the Repair
Install was created (e.g. if you use a CD with Service Pack 2 included
then the computer will not have any of the post-SP2 updates installed.

If you don't do this then automatic updates will not start to work unless
and until a new critical update is issued by Microsoft.  At that point
automatic update will start and will catch up on all of the missing
updates.  But in the interval your system could be vulnerable to any
malware that exploits the missing updates.

There have been over 40 critical updates issued for Windows XP since
Service Pack 2 was released.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555615/en-us (Windows XP) and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555616/en-us (Server 2003)

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
<unquote>

"If you don't do this then automatic updates will not start to work unless
and until a new critical update is issued by Microsoft.
[==]
But in the interval your system could be vulnerable to any
malware that exploits the missing updates."

So it depends on M$haft & when *they* fix it, *if* they feel like fixing
it, & meantime any eX-Pee or Server 2003 could be vulnerable.

Thankfully OSS doesn't work like that, maybe Mr Allchin should be informed.

--
www.jlaforums.com steals usenet newsgroup posts, & misleads the public
into thinking the posts come from their own forums. THEY DON'T!