Re: QT/KDE based apps won't show JPEGs (except for Konqueror Web)

  • Subject: Re: QT/KDE based apps won't show JPEGs (except for Konqueror Web)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:55:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 02 June 2006 22:24 \__

> DanielEKFA wrote:
>> Hey :)
>>
>> Weird problem here, which I don't know exactly when I first encountered,
>> but it has survived to KDE updates now (currently at 3.5.3 (on Kubuntu
>> Dapper (which was Breezy until yesterday evening))).
>>
>> Thing is, any KDE/QT based application won't show JPEGs anymore. PNGs,
>> fine. GIFs, fine. Anything but JPEGs apparently, fine... The thumbnail
>> previews in Konqueror when it functions as a file manager are all just
>> ugly Windows-ish default icons for image files. Gwenview doesn't show
>> JPEGs, it doesn't even list them. KolourPaint won't either. As far as I
>> can tell, any QT based app refuses to do so.
>>
>> Gqview works fine, as does the GIMP. So, it seems, GTK based apps don't
>> have this problem.
>>
>> I was thinking it had to do with missing libraries until I tried creating
>> a new user this morning. I logged in as this new user, opened up Konqueror
>> as a file manager, and voila, it shows JPEGs. As does Gwenview, as does
>> KolourPaint. Hmmm... What setting in my ~/.kde folder could possible be
>> the cause of this?
>>
>> Konqueror as a web browser has no shortcomings, all JPEGs work fine here.
>>
>> Any input?
>
> I have had KDE built without support for gif's. That was due to the support
> not being built in to Qt. Could it be that your Qt was built without jpeg
> support?

I was going to suggest it when I read the OP: check to see if Konqueror is
set to display thumbnails for JPEG's locally. There are many options for
previews with filetypes and such... reset to default if you are unsure.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  1:50pm  up 36 days 20:22,  11 users,  load average: 2.53, 2.46, 2.47