Re: Microsoft Windows Shuts Down Swedish Police Site

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 07:18 \__

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/06/02/sweden.hacker.ap/index.html?section=cnn_tech

>>> The article neglects to mention that Windows flaws made this possible.
>>>
>>>                 Windows: making the Internet a scary place
>>

>>>From netcraft.com....
>>
>> 1. www.polisen.se  May 2001 Rikspolisstyrelsen Solaris 9/10
>>
>> Looks like the Swedish police is running Solaris.
>
> You misunderstood this. What do you think facilitated such large-scale
> attacks on the Solaris servers? Windows machines wordwide were being
> compromised (people as young as 15 are able to do this)

Case proven. Just published:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,835844,00.html

While the attacker was 17, he looks even younger.

Heck I suppose he's juvenile, so you would struggle to even get him behind
bar. These holes in Windows are so amazingly easy to exploit, which makes
you wonder sometimes...

OneCare was announced last week. Microsoft intends to defend you from
themselves, for the fee of just $50 per year. This almost sounds as though
you could make the intersting and classic comparison: a drug dealer that
gives you a sample (Windows, so not even free) and later rips you off
because you're strangled.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
  7:25am  up 37 days 12:58,  11 users,  load average: 2.32, 1.78, 1.49