Re: Don't buy Lenov$, it may not be supported under Linux

  • Subject: Re: Don't buy Lenov$, it may not be supported under Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:35:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ carlleigh@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 04 June 2006 16:42 \__

> Doesn't have anything to do with China.
>
> I'm from upstate New York and live outside the US. I just went to a PC
> show this week end and heard this stated very nastily by sales people
> from Lenovo and other big laptop manufactures. I think that Microsoft
> is a making a big push for manufactures to only sell and SUPPORT
> Microsoft. Of course for the OEM's this probably includes a big
> reductions in price for the OS and big kickbacks. OEM's can make BIG
> money off ot the OS and as long as Microsoft has deep pockets they may.
> You have to be a little sympathy for the OEM's they aren't making much
> money off of their desktops and some of their laptops. Here comes
> Microsoft to save them. (AND HURT US.)
>
> Sounds monopolistic doesn't it.
>
> The funny thing is. I've told people for years to by IBM laptops
> because they tended to support Linux well. I feel that I've invested
> something in IBM and Lenovo. Now in a typical Microsoft type of move,
> someone comes along and hurts my investment.
>
> THANKS A WHOLE LOT.
>
> Maybe it is monopolistic. Is this an anitcompetative push by M$oft.
> They can't win against Linux unless they cheat.

Win? They are fighting a losing battle and, at this moment, despite the
kickbacks, they are losing. Have you taken a look at the Microsoft shares
recently? Or Dell's support of Linux, desire to include OS X, and bundling
of Google software?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  6:30pm  up 38 days  0:03,  11 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.94, 0.96