Re: [News] First Step to Restricting DRM

__/ [ Scott W ] on Monday 05 June 2006 10:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> MPs in digital downloads warning
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Consumers should be told exactly what they can and cannot do with songs
>> | and films they buy online, says an influential group of MPs in the UK.
>> |
>> | The All Party Parliamentary Internet Group looked at how copy protection
>> | systems restrict the way digital movies and music can be enjoyed.
>> |
>> | Labels on digital content should spell out how easy it is to move from
>> | gadget to gadget, said the report.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5041684.stm
>
> music CDs that don't copy to your computer most likely won't play on
> your computer. my little brother got a foo fighters CD that refused to
> play on anything but my hifi. the only reason they put DRM on CDs is so
> they can push the online shopping market and its brand of restrictive DRM.
>
> i have to say i like the way our (usually spineless) government is
> tackling this issue. we seem to be a little more outspoken than our
> cousins across the atlantic.

I  didn't want to add a personal comment, which would resemble your second
paragraph. I was truly going to, but I abstained. We are yet to see Europe
taking  similar steps: for DRM, for standards (e.g. OpenDocument), and for
software.

The  States,  for which I have plenty of respect and admiration, is  where
plenty  of the DRM'd entertainment comes from (e.g. mainstream music,  the
Holywood  film  industry).  Thus,  the government in the  States  is  less
inclined  to deal with real issues and more likely to turn a blind eye. It
already  does  that  with Microsoft. As Bush once said "Let  the  guys  in
Redmond innovate". Tax money (vacuumed from all over the world) and ethics
mix together as well as sand and water.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:50am  up 38 days 16:23,  11 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.56, 0.75