Re: [News] Microsoft Nicks Ubuntu Logo

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 05 June 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:52:39 +0100
> <10854656.T809FbAa23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_blatantly_steals_Ubuntu_logo
>>
>> Unbelievable! And yet inarguable.
>
> Erm...what logo exactly did they steal?  The
> http://join.msn.com/spaces/overview contains fat letters
> (HotMail), two abstract people (Messenger), and a weather
> storm (Weather).  Perhaps this is a transitory thing, and
> Microsoft has already taken steps to mod it?  *confusion*

See the top-right corner. It's still there: Ubuntu's iconic image.
Ironically, MSN Spaces is the service which banned bloggers who had used
their right for free speech. Maybe the Chinese authorities had them jailed
as well; maybe even tortured, who knows?

Given the symbolic meaning of that icon (see Mandela interview), you can
think of it as the scenario where a pedophile is luring children with some
candy or a statue of an angel before the entrance to Hell.

> (BTW, clicking on "Learn more" doesn't do much on my copy
> of Epiphany.  Must be an Epiphany bug.  Couldn't possibly
> be a bug in their webpage, oh no...)

Well, it starts with an 'E'. Close, but no cigar. They check the entire
user-agent string...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:35pm  up 39 days  1:08,  11 users,  load average: 3.19, 3.47, 3.73