Re: "Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly"

  • Subject: Re: "Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly"
  • From: hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 Jun 2006 14:11:06 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
[...]
> >> The only downside is that if China is paying MSFT money, then I benefit
> >> from the taxes collected.  If China's using Linux, I don't benefit.
>

> Does that justify anything for the Chinese government?

In that I'm not convinced that it's in *my* best interests for China to
use Linux.  Of course, a rising tide raises all boats (JFK), so more
linux worldwide makes a better world?  From an environmental
perspective, yes.  However, if China (or ____) becomes more industrial,
maybe that's bad for the "world".

I really like the one laptop per child project, which is a linux
project.

[...]
> The GPL is not /that/ political. Well, not in the sense that it says very
> little about human rights in the context of human lives... It alludes to
> freedom of speech and information (c/f censorship), as well as freedom in
> the domain of technology.

There's a noticable dichotomy between free code and un-free people,
though.  On the other hand:

Chekov: "We do believe that all planets have a sovereign claim to
inalienable
  human rights."
Azetbur: "Inalien.  If only you could hear yourselves.  Human rights.
Why the
  very name is racist.  The Federation is no more than a
Homo-sapians-only
  club."
Chang: "Present company excepted, of course."
--"STVI:TUC", Stardate 9522.6

So, maybe it's part of Chinese culture to be, from my point of view,
opressive or opressed.

[...]
> Definitely. The Government is very self-defensive (thus repressive) at the
> moment and the people will sooner or later gather and protest. When I come
> to think about it, GNU/Linux can motivate them to comprehend and appreciate
> freedom. Y'all know how Microsoft/Windows is said to be totalitarian.

I'm unconvinced that there's such a causal relationship, or that the
two can even be corrolated when other factors are taken in to account.

-Thufir