Re: Apache down, Windows up - article

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 22:16 \__

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:08:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Big Bill ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:02 \__
>>
>>> What's in this for GoDaddy, one wonders?
>>>
>>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html
>>
>>You answered your own rhetorical question, in a sense. The other question
>>to ask is, "what's in this for Microsoft FUD campaigns?"
>>
>>Open Source Fights Back
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
>>| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
>>| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
>>| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
>>| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
>>| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
>>| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
>>| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
>>| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
>>| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
>>| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
>>| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
>>`----
>
> Like you can fight Google on a cash basis. I'd love for Microsoft to
> be trying to bribe me with more money than I could get from Google.

Yahoo and MSN are already offering prizes to those who use the search engine.
A9 likewise, if I recall correctly. Let me find a link as I once blogged
it...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/02/24/search-engines-bribe-users/

There's also this one for Web browsers with search bars:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/11/06/google-reward-for-firefox-downloads/

Ever since, they have shown Firefox adverts in results pages as well.