Re: OpenOffice, Not Google, Can Kill Microsoft Office

__/ [ asj ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 06:42 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Another Google App, Another Google Yawn
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | No, the real power for any office suite will continue to remain on the
>> | desktop. And, as it happens, there already a better and free alternative
>> | to Microsoft Office for the desktop: OpenOffice.org.
>> |

> Well, google has the hype, and you gotta admit developers rush to its
> newest "toy" whenever one comes out. Here's one example. Only a few
> weeks after Google released its Calendar webapps, there's even a Java
> ME app that can synchronize your phone/PDA calendar with it (see
> GCalSync):
>
> http://blueboard.com/smalljava/archives/50

Thanks. I'll have a look. It was only a week ago that I installed the
Thunderbird Calendar Extension (formerly Sunbird?), as well also a Web-based
calendar ( http://schestowitz.com/Datebook/calendar ). I am still struggling
to unshcakle my diary data from Palm's proprietary formats, which I nag
about quite often ( e.g.
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/11/22/palm-data-formats/ ).
Linux translation tools (pilot-link and 'affiliates') didn't give me the
ical, vcal, or xcal routes I was after. I hope the above will help. If you
have some advice, I would appreciate it. I am still virtually stuck with
Palm. *frown* And I hate being forced to stay with a vendor due to formats
and lack of translation/conversion tools.

> In the end, hype may be just as good as real content  ;-)

Exactly. That Google hype (and people's blind trust in that 'Entity') has
gotten me rather sick.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
  7:00am  up 40 days 12:33,  11 users,  load average: 1.03, 1.45, 1.48