Re: Lawmakers took millions in free trips: study

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:39:54 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Kier ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 09:26 \__
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:24:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> Roy
>>>
>>> PS - how can a post ever be complete without a Microsoft bash? How does a
>>> Microsoft employee get his/her free excursion? Just sit on a chair, holler
>>> "oink, oink" and when Ballmer comes around say that Google have just hired
>>> you. The flight is free.
>

> YMMV. *smile*
>

>> Personally, I find the 'obligatory' MS bashing increasingly tedious and
>> frequently totally unnecessary. I thought we were here to talk about Linux.
>

> Microsoft's lobbying is intended to directly sabotage Linux adoption, through
> litigious routes. I truly think this matter should be openly discusses.

There's a difference between serious discussions of these issues, and
pointless MS-sucks and silly name calling type posts.

> Korea people should become aware of why, for example, not many vendors ship
> dual-boot machines, 'naked' PC's,  or even install/prebundle Open Source
> software.

I doubt it has much to do with the remarks I quote above. I think the
reasons are many and varied. There's not a big enough demand is probably
one of them. Unfortunately it's a bit chicken and egg - if the demand
isn't there, no one will offer the option, and if the option isn't
offered, it can't be taken up and therefore there's no demand for it. Of
course, there is *some* demand for it, but initially at least it's going
to be filled by small independant vendors.

Big companies are catering to a far larger market, and have less room for
manoeuvre.

In the matter of bundling or offering pre-installed OSS products, it could
be a number of factors keeping them from doing it. Quite possibly pressure
from MS. From their point of view, this is understandable, however
undesirable it may be to us.

Understand, I'm not having a go at you personally. I find the whole
micoshaft, Blammer, M$, Windowoes thing  tedious and childish. In the long
run, IMO, it just makes us look foolish and spiteful, like name-calling
children.

--
Kier