Re: [News] Debian Linux Gets Carrier Grade Linux Status

>> Audited schmaudited.  Let the community do the auditing.  It's cheaper.
>
> OSDL is funded by giants such as IBM and Intel. These companies want
> something in return for their investment. A formal auditing process gives
> them legal coverage, as well as confidence in the packages they deploy
> in-house, as well as customers' computer base. Debian is extremely popular
> among servers.

But Red Hat believes the current level of auditing is not sufficient.

> I wonder how the closed-source, proprietary and commercial paradigm ever
> emerged in the first place. Wikipedia says it is Bill Gates who started the
> whole hoi polloi, arguing that closed-source would encourage the creation of
> good software (*cough* Internet Explorer).

I wouldn't put trust in the wordage of Billy Bitrot even if he told me
"Linux rocks!"

--
   /\ STOP! This post has not passed Microsoft Logo testing to verify its
  /  \      compatibility with Microsoft FUD.  Microsoft strongly recommends