Re: Erik Funkenbusch - scumbag

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 07:27:10 -0400, mlw wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:02:20 -0500, chrisv wrote:
>>
>>> That's very ironic, coming from someone as ethically-challenged as
>>> you, Erik.
>>
>> Well, nice to know that you condone and approve of illegal behavior,
>> Chris.
>
> I'm not sure I would consider it illegal. There are probably good arguments
> on both sides as to whether or not the use falls under fair use, but this
> is between the author and the alleged violator.

There is no possible fair use test this would pass.  1) It uses the
complete work.  2) He does not own a copy of the work in any form.  3) The
work is deliberately posted with details on how to license it.  4) He is
collecting revenue via advertising through the use of the image.

> What is clear, is that *you* have no standing in this case.

Irrelevant.  That doesn't stop people like Harald Welte from filing GPL
lawsuits against companies violating the GPL, especially considering he's
not the author of the works in any way.

> You are not
> party to any dispute and can't even claim to be a stake holder. So, in
> fact, it is you that are being libelous. (1) You are making public claims
> that you know you can not prove. (2) You are doing it for the express
> intent of harming someone's reputation or malice.

Iam not making claims I cannot prove.  I have email from the author of the
work stating that Roy iis violating his copyrights.

> So, if he wanted to sue you, it probably would be his right.

Let him.