Re: At home or work, XP goes out to lunch

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 08 June 2006 12:59 \__

Arrrgh, now I'm at home, and my laptop XP billybox gives me the hourglass on accessing a directory, when it was working fine.
<...>
Time for a malware scan?  No need.  I know what the malware is.  It
is called Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Actually, it's much worse without it: Guaranteed pwning within 12 minutes, on average. With most connection types, that not enough time
to download the pack. When my sister installed Windows XP for my mother around Xmas, the computer got infected before it was even protected.

Yeah, I posted this before (here, I think) about how there was a period a while back, where I was trying to install XP on a box on an unprotected network (no firewall) and it got infected by Blaster IIRC *during* setup, and I was hit by the "RPC service has terminated ... Windows must reboot" problem, over and over.

The only way to install Windows safely is either behind a
Firewall/Router, or disconnected from the network entirely.

Makes the prospect of a Windows PXE boot, or network install rather
interesting. I'm just reminded of how easy PXE/bootp and network install
is under Linux - this box is the third thin/slim-client this week that
I've set up that way.

-
K.