Re: KWord: A Fine Replacement for MS Word

__/ [ Tom Shelton ] on Friday 09 June 2006 07:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Tom Shelton ] on Friday 09 June 2006 04:56 \__

>> > Not even close...  The new GUI on office 2007 makes pretty much all the
>> > others appear plain and boring.
>> >
>> > http://mtogden.com/~tom/images/office2007.PNG
>> >
>> > That's Beta2 running on my system.
>>
>> Yes, I know, but all we see are shinier graphics, which take up resources.
>> The point I was trying to make was that Office 2000 users will perceive
>> KWord or OpenOffice positively, which will make Microsoft Office upgrades
>> less compelling. What's more, you must have come across the discussion
>> about need for (re-)training, due to the radical UI changes, which are
>> said to add nothing in terms of productivity (good productivity relies on
>> keyboard accelerators at best, not toolbars).
>
> Roy - until you load and use the new UI, I wouldn't make such comments.
>  I am anything but an expert in office - but, just in my little playing
> around I have found it much easier to accomplish most tasks in the new
> UI.  They aren't just "shiner graphics" - this, IMHO, is a major
> functional step forward.  Most things are right there for you to use -
> no more dialogs nested multi-levels deep.  Most things happen in a live
> preview, so it eliminates a lot of trial and error formating.

Personally, out of of touch from the conext of this thread, I find the whole
WYSIWYG-on-A4, 'pixel perfect' paradigm terribly flawed. We should educate
people to cater for an arbitrary media and embed semantics when creating a
document. I think it's part of a dumbed-down education curve that urges
people to make information so unorganised, ill-structres, and un(re-)usable.

> I was reserving judgment about Office2007 until I got a chance to play
> with it.  And honestly, now that I have had that chance, I don't
> believe all the retraining reports.  A couple of hours of orientation,
> and I think most people will be right at home and more productive then
> they have ever been.
>
> Want an honest prediction...  I bet that in the next couple of versions
> of OO, that they will copy many elements of the new Office 2007 UI.
> Wait and see.

I don't doubt it. The prospective user of OO.org is the former user of
Office. Whether they will have 2 'landing bays', one for former Office 2007
users and one for those accustomed to its predecessors, we shall wait and
see. It might not require forking, assuming they make the UI an option
(in-package 'fork'), which Office 2007 does not have, as far as I know.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
  7:40am  up 42 days 13:13,  10 users,  load average: 3.02, 2.51, 1.75