Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Jun 2006 07:17:57 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2006-06-08, thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> > Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's different for Google, Deja News (now Google) or any of the ISP's
> >> because they are a member of the USENET system/network and have an
> >> "implied license" to use and display the information.
> >
> > There is no special status conferred on one server versus another that
> > makes it part of the 'USENET system/network'.  It is a completely ad-hoc,
> > decentralized, anarchistic system.  Anyone can create a downstream feed
> > and archive it however they like, forward it anywhere over any protocol
> > they like, whatever.  Numerous web archives abound of both usenet and
> > many public mailing lists.  This is tradition.
>
> I have my own local spool. I store everything from a few groups, some
> from a few others, and nearly nothing of several more.
>
> That stupid claim would infer that I'm violating somebody's IP because
> I'm not "a member of the USENET system/network" (whatever the hell
> that's supposed to mean) on my machine downstairs that is clearly
> acting as a server.

Spooling it locally is fine. Many internet servers spool and cache data
since USENET is basically a forward and store system. Are you putting
selective USENET posts up on a for-profit website? Look at JLAFORUMS
and the criticism some have given them here for doing this exact same
thing that Roy is doing.

Can Microsoft take your posts and put them up on www.Microsoft.com if
they wanted to? Why not? The same applies in this case.

I'm not claiming that it is illegal or otherwise enforceable but USENET
posts clearly have an implied copyright by the author of the post. A
simple google search will reveal dozens of articles supporting this.
Here's just one example:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

<quote>
10 Big Myths about copyright explained

3) "If it's posted to Usenet it's in the public domain."

    False. Nothing modern and creative is in the public domain anymore
unless the owner explicitly puts it in the public domain(*).
Explicitly, as in you have a note from the author/owner saying, "I
grant this to the public domain.
</quote>

> What a buffoon is Larry!

When you have no argument or case simply resort to name childish
calling. Quite pathetic.