Re: Google develops browser sync tool for Firefox

  • Subject: Re: Google develops browser sync tool for Firefox
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:06:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 09 June 2006 23:14 \__

> Quote:
> --------------
> In another boost to Mozilla, Google has created a tool that lets users
> synchronize the settings of their Firefox browsers across multiple
> computers.

Many will not interested. I can SSH and run the same session/installation of
Firefox everywhere. This is of course dependent on high bandwidth.

> With Google Browser Sync, users will maintain the same bookmarks, Web
> site visits log, saved passwords and persistent cookies in all their
> copies of the Mozilla open-source browser.

And many will/should say "no, thanks". The implication on privacy are too
much to bear. Moreover, Google could have hidden agendas. Much as in social
bookmarks (e.g. Yahoo bought del.icio.us), SERP's can be optimised by
invading people's bookmarks. The customer's trust can be exploited in the
process. All of this will, needless to mention, remain hidden from the
public eyes, as to prevent bookmark spamming.