Re: [News] Linux Accounts for a Quarter at Dell, "Grows Fast"

begin  risky.vbs
	<10571818.7ItHdtlDkf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Linux now forms a quarter of Dell's server business and is growing
>| fast, the company says. Should Microsoft be worried?
>|
>| Long hailed as the provider of choice for companies looking for PC
>| solutions based on Intel hardware and Microsoft software, Dell says
>| that Linux now makes up 25 percent of its enterprise market.
> `----

It is next to impossible to determine Linux adoption. Even download
figures say little as you can install from one download on many
systems. Whatever figures the likes of Gartner and IDC give are
most probably highly inaccurate.

Where I work Linux adoption is increasing at a high pace on server
systems. Desktop adoption less so but all but a few *nix admins now
run Linux on their desktops.

This 25% figure from Dell is astounding and must scare the shit out of
MS, Sun, ...

Where I work Dell don't have a look in. It is almost 100% HP and Sun.
I did have a Dell laptop before and I will be getting a new Dell
laptop soon simply because it has a nvidia graphics chipset. My
current laptop is an HP with a poorly supported ATI graphics chipset.

I admin close to a 100 Linux based servers (most are firewalls running
Stonegate which is Debiab based). Other groups are also installing
more and more Linux servers. All these systems are HP's (380's 580's,
etc). None were bought with any OS. They don't show up in any stats
showing Linux adoption.

Dell's 25% is clearly a low figure. I've 'upgraded' many old Windows
servers in the past to Linux. I've posted about them before in COLA.
Clearly I'm not alone. What's clear is Linux adoption is increasing
faster than any figures that are published. Even Dell's.